Dental Exams: More important than you might think!
We all know the basics of good dental health – regular check-ups and cleanings, brushing, flossing, etc. But do you know WHY these things matter so much? And what more could you be doing to keep your teeth and gums their healthiest? Fulp Family Dentistry is dedicated to educating our patients about taking care of their smiles. Read on for some additional information and tips for the whole family.
Keeping your regular dental exams can do much more than just give you an attractive smile – those visits can tell your dentists a lot about your overall health – including whether or not you could be at risk for a chronic disease. Believe it or not, your mouth’s overall healthy is a great indicator of the condition of your body as a whole!
Seeing your dentist regularly helps keep your teeth and gums in great shape – and allows your dentist to look for developments that may point to other health issues. A dental exam can also detect poor nutrition and hygiene, growth and development problems, and problems with jaw alignment. Remember to always provide your dentist with a complete medical history and let him or her know about any recent health developments – even if they don’t seem related to your oral health.
What can you do at home to practice good oral hygiene? Here are some general tips:
- Brush twice a day for at least two minutes using toothpaste with fluoride.
- Floss daily to remove plaque that your toothbrush might not reach.
- Eat a healthy diet with plenty of lean protein, vegetables and fruit to provide nutrients that prevent gum disease (vitamins A and C, in particular!). And don’t forget to keep sugary snacks and sodas to a minimum; when you do indulge, remember to brush your teeth afterwards.
- Avoid cigarettes and smokeless tobacco – these can contribute to gum disease and oral cancer.
- VISIT YOUR DENTIST REGULARLY! Keep those appointments for general exams and cleanings – this is the most effective way to detect early signs of gum disease.
In short, it’s not that hard to keep your oral health tip-top – you just have to be diligent. And when it’s exam time, be sure you come in to see us at Fulp Family Dentistry for a dental cleaning to keep your smile beautiful and healthy!