Do you remember the saying, “Sip all day, get decay?” It’s not only a catchy saying; it’s the truth! Heavy soda consumption can contribute to tooth decay along with other health complications like diabetes, obesity, and osteoporosis. Sugar in soda combines with bacteria in your mouth to form acid, which attacks your teeth and eventually weakens the tooth’s enamel.
To avoid tooth decay, as well as other health problems, step #1 is to limit your intake of soft drinks! The following are a few do’s and don’ts to consider:
- Drink soda and other soft drinks in moderation!
- Use a straw to keep the sugar away from your teeth
- Swish your mouth out with water after drinking soda. (This dilutes the acid and sugar left in your mouth after consuming a soft drink.)
- Drink plenty of water
- Sip for an extended amount of time
- Drink soda right before going to bed
- Substitute sodas, sports drinks or fruit juices for a meal
In addition to brushing and flossing twice daily, the best way to prevent tooth decay is to visit your dentist regularly! Fulp Family Dentistry is a full-service dental practice offering everything from routine dental cleanings, cosmetic dentistry, Invisalign®, and teeth whitening to fillings, dentures, implants and more. We provide services to all of South Georgia including Tifton, Fitzgerald, Adel, Ocilla, Ashburn, and all surrounding areas. Drs. Nicole Fulp and Scott Fulp have been serving families in the area since 2009 in their state-of-the-art dental facility. Call us today for more information or to make an appointment.